Chamdo situated between two rivers at the elevation of 3200 meters. Rich in nature with green trees, mountain, and fresh rivers.
Chamdo is also known as Do Kham in the Tibetan language. According to some scientific evidence, Chamdo has a history back to 5000 years ago. Chamdo is one place where we can find many different sects of religion in Tibet, including the Bon, Nyingma, Kagyu, Gelug.
Photo: The Zigzag Yela pass (4658 meters) road to Chamdo
Few important Bon monasteries
- Tsedruk monastery (One of the largest Bon monastery in Kham) Has history back to 2000-3000 years ago.
- Yungdrungpalri monastery.
- Dingchen monastery.
Few important Buddhist monasteries
- Woese monastery from Martsang Kagyu.
- Taklung monastery and Rewoche monastery, the monasteries of Taklung Kagyu.
- Karma monastery, the main monastery of Karma Kagyu.
- Especially the first Karmapa Dusum Kyenpa founded the Karma Lhateng monastery at Riwoche, and the first Trulku incarnation in Tibet has started.
- Jampaling monastery, known as the largest Gelug monastery in Kham.
- Pasho monastery.
Many of the Twenty-five holy Mountains in Tibet situated in Chamdo
- Gurulani holy mountain blessed by Maha Guru Padmasambhava, Dechen Chokyi Lingpa, and Karma Pakshi.
Photo: Chamdo Tsedruk Bon Monastery
- Rawok Lake situated in the Pasho county is known as one of the stunning lakes near Chamdo.
- Bhumtso Lake situated near the Markham.
- Twenty-one female Buddha Jetsun Drolma's soul Lake.
Chamdo Pasho county Bamda town airport lies at the elevation of 4300 meters. The airport is around 100km from Chamdo. From the airport to Chamdo will be around one and a half hour. From Chamdo to the airport will be around two and a half hour because of climbing up towards the mountain.
- Chamdo City Hospital
- Mount Kawakarpo at the Shangri La Dechen town
Photo: The stunning Rawok Lake near Pomi and Pasho county
Nearest bigger cities
- Bayi Nyingchi
- Shangri La Zhongdian
- Lijiang Yunnan
Chamdo has developed a lot in recent years. It is now known as one of the bigger cities in Tibet. The road to Chamdo is almost all paved.
Photo: Young girls from Chamdo
Traveling from Chamdo towards the North will reach Nagchu. (Nakchu)
There is also a route towards the east to Derge, Batang, Litang from Chamdo.
The route from Yunnan Shangri La to Lhasa via Dechen, Zigong, Markam, Pasho, Pomi, Nyingchi, and to Lhasa is one of the favorites for many Travelers.
Chamdo boys are known to be handsome, and girls are known to be beautiful, according to Tibetans. The reason behind may be the clean river and a pleasant atmosphere with the habit of eating organic foods.
From Lhasa to Chamdo, there is around 1100km. From Lhasa to Nyingchi, there is the Nyinglha highway. From Nyingchi, travel to Pomi, Pasho and reach the Chamdo.
From Yunnan to Chamdo will pass by Shangri La, Zogong, Markham.
Thank you for reading our article on Chamdo. For Tibet travel free information or booking a tour to Tibet. Email us at [email protected]