Gawula Pass is situated in Tingri County, between the Che village and Tashizom village. Gawula Pass is one of the most spectacular mountain passes in Tibet.
The view of five snow mountains from Gawula Pass
- Mount Everest (8844 meters, 29002ft)
- Mount Makalu (8463 meters, 27825ft)
- Mount Lhotse (8516meters, 27940ft)
- Mount Cho Oyu (8188 meters, 26906 ft) and finally
- Mount Shishapangma (8027 meters, 26289ft)
From the summit of Gawu la pass, there is approximately 90km to the Rongbuk monastery, and Mount Everest base camp. There is nearly 500km from Gawula Pass to Lhasa City and around 220km to Shigatse City.
Shigatse is the main city of Tingri County. It is the second-largest city after Lhasa.
- Tingri town (Also known as Gangkar, Old Tingri)
- Pelber town (Near the Shegar, New Tingri)
- Lhatse town
- Tashizom village clinic
- New Tingri Shegar town hospital
- Lhatse town hospital
- Shigatse City hospital
- My village is Tashizom ( Mount Everest non-pollution Eco bus park is located at Tashizom village.)
- Chey Village (Near the checkpoint of Mount Everest National Park)
- Pasum village (My mother and brother's family are at Pasum)
Photo: View of Mount Everest from my home at Pasum
- Shegar Chode monastery
- Rongbuk monastery
- Dra Tho monastery near Tashizom village
- Langkor Pa Dhampa Sangay monastery near Old Tingri
- Sakya monastery
- Lhatse Chode monastery
Nearest Border Towns
- Zhangmu border between Nepal
- Kyirong border town between Nepal
- Nyalam town near Zhangmu town
Nearest Public Security Offices (PSB)
- Tashizom village security office
- Pelber town and Shegar town security office
- Old Tingri security office
Nearest Trekking Routes
- Kharta Gama Kangshung Valley trek to the east face of Mount Everest
- Old Tingri to Mount Everest viewpoint area trek
Kangshung Valley is one of the longest-duration hidden beauties Treks in Tibet.
Nearest Hot Springs
- Old Tingri Gangkar Hot Spring
- New Tingri Lolo Hot Spring
- Lhatse Hot Spring
Gawula Pass is also known as Pang la in Lonely Planet Guidebooks. The Zigzag route is now all paved from Lhasa to the Rongbuk monastery near Mount Everest.
The best time to visit the Gawula Pass will be before sunrise or sunset on Mount Everest so early morning around 7-8 am and late afternoon around 6-7 pm will be a great time to arrive at here to see the stunning view.
One of the reasons for recommending Travelers to stay a night in Pelber is to see the sunrise on the Himalayas from Gawula Pass. There is around 40-50km From the Pelber to the summit of the Gawula Pass with a driving duration of nearly two hours. Staying a night at Pelber town also helps to acclimatize to the altitude.
For Tibet travel free information or booking a tour to Tibet. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org