Also known as Geu la Pass situated at the Tingri County, between the Che village and Tashizom village.
Gawula pass is one of the most beautiful mountain passes in Tibet to see the beauties of five mountain above 8000 meters.
The five snow mountains :
- Mount Everest (8844 meters, 29002ft)
- Mount Makalu (8463 meters, 27825ft)
- Mount Lhotse (8516meters, 27940ft)
- Mount Cho Oyu (8188 meters, 26906 ft) and finally
- Mount Shishapangma (8027 meters, 26289ft) This is the best view scenic point of Mount Everest North face.
From the summit of Gawu la pass, there is approximately 90km to the Rongbuk monastery, final viewpoint area of Mount Everest.
There is nearly 500km from Gawula pass to Lhasa city and around 220km to Shigatse city.
Shigatse is the main city of Tingri County. It is the second-largest city after Lhasa.
- Tingri town (Also known as Gangkar, Old Tingri)
- Pelber town (Near the Shegar, New Tingri)
- Lhatse town
- Tashizom village clinic
- New Tingri Shegar town hospital
- Lhatse town hospital
- Shigatse city hospital
- Tashizom village (My elder brother's village)
- Chey village (Near the checkpoint of Mount Everest National Park)
- Pasum village (This is my village. My mother and brothers family are at Pasum.)
- Choezom village ( Mount Everest non-pollution Eco bus park is located near Choezom village.)
Photo: View of Mount Everest from my home at Pasum
- Shegar Chode monastery
- Rongbuk monastery
- Dra Tho monastery near Tashizom village
- Langkor Pa Dhampa Sangay monastery near Old Tingri
- Sakya monastery
- Lhatse Chode monastery
Nearest Border Towns
- Zhangmu border between Nepal
- Kyirong border town between Nepal
- Nyalam town near Zhangmu town
Nearest Public Security Offices (PSB)
- Tashizom village security office
- Pelber town and Shegar town security office
- Old Tingri security office
Nearest Trekking Routes
- Kharta Gama Kangshung valley trek to the east face of Mount Everest
- Old Tingri to Mount Everest viewpoint area trek
Photo: Kharta Chutang village Kangshung Gama valley east face of mount Everest Trek
Kangshung valley is one of the hidden beauties in Tibet. It is the longest duration treks of the Tibet Travelers.
Nearest Hot Springs
- Old Tingri Gangkar Hot Spring
- New Tingri Lolo Hot Spring
- Lhatse Hot Spring
In our previous article, we have shared the few highlight scenic spots in Tibet. Gawula pass is exceptional because of its special beauty so we have focused on a full article on Gawula pass.
Gawula pass is also known as Geula or Pang la in lonely Planet Guidebooks. The Zigzag route is now all paved from Lhasa to the Rongbuk monastery near Mount Everest.
The best time to visit the Gawula pass will be before the sunrise or the sunset on Mount Everest so early morning around 7-8am and late afternoon around 6-7pm will be a great time to arrive at here to see the stunning view.
The route to Gawula pass is on the friendship highway towards the old Tingri and Nepal border.
The Mount Everest National Park gate is situated near the friendship highway. Entrance fees to get into the Gawula pass cost: 400 Renminbi for a four-wheel vehicle and six wheels or more will cost 600 Renminbi. The price is charged only for tourist vehicles.
The entrance fee for a tourist is 180 Renminbi per person and also charge same for the Tour Guide.
One of the reasons for recommending Travelers to stay a night in Pelber is to see the sunrise from Gawula pass. There is around 40-50km From the Pelber to the summit of the Gawula pass with a driving duration of nearly two hours. It will also help Travelers to acclimatized with the altitude.
Thank you for reading Tibet Travelers article on Gawula pass. For Tibet travel free information or booking a tour to Tibet. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org